Wednesday, February 1, 2012

BADBADNOTGOOD: BBNG


BADBADNOTGOOD is a jazz-hop trio that includes Matt Tavares, Chester Hansen, and Alex Sowinski.  Their recording that I've checked out the most is the mixtape BBNG.  So far I've really enjoyed what I've heard.  With the vast majority of the public disinterested in swing music, I think that groups like this that fuse elements of hip-hop and funk into their music are the future of jazz.  In particular, I think BBNG is going in the right direction for jazz with their covers of classic hip-hop beats and their collaborations with modern MCs.  On their studio mixtape, BBNG, they have a cool cover of Gangstarr's "Mass Appeal," and on their live release they perform jazz renditions of A Tribe Called Quest's "Electric Relaxation" and a medley of MF Doom's music entitled "DOOM."  I especially enjoy these tracks because they provide a fresh and elaborated perspective on music that was previously only in the form of two measure loops.  Their version of "Electric Relaxation" is probably my favorite of the hip-hop covers.  In this track BBNG jams over the classic tribe bassline and chord changes for 5:32 with elongated jazz solos.

My one problem with this music is that it can be pretty repetitive at times, much like a hip-hop beat except with no rapping.  They have youtube videos out where they perform with Tyler the Creator, incorporating his Odd Future verses and beats in with jazz solos.  I'm not a huge Tyler fan, but the collaboration on "Orange Juice" is awesome, and is a good direction for them.  It would be nice to hear them release more recordings either with rappers or jazz horn players to provide rhythmic and melodic variation over their beats, but they generally do a pretty good job breaking out of stagnant sections in their music.

My favorite tracks from their BBNG mixtape are "The World is Yours/Brooklyn Zoo," "Listeriosis," and "Fall in Love," but there is also a medley of jazzed up music from Zelda games called "Title Theme/Saria's Song/Song of Storms" that I approve of very much.  Their live mixtape is also really cool, and as I listen to it more I'm even starting to prefer it to the studio recordings.  All of their music is available for free on their bandcamp page or on their website, and is definitely worth checking out.  It's nice to see a jazz group trying to reach a younger audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment