Saturday, February 4, 2012

Clifford Brown and Max Roach Quintet

Picture is of Miles, not Clifford

I'm taking it a little easy on the blogging today.  I've been preparing for multiple hours a day for months for my IU jazz studies audition, and it's finally over.  I played "Joy Spring," off of the Clifford Brown and Max Roach Quintet's self-titled album.  It's a great tune and one of the very most quintessential swing albums of its time.  The quintet features Clifford Brown on trumpet, Max Roach on drums, George Morrow on bass, Harold Land on tenor sax, and Bud Powell's younger brother Richie on piano.  All of them play beautifully throughout the album.

I really have no complaints about the album, as it has had a big influence on my jazz playing.  It's a shame that Clifford died so young in a car accident; his impact was huge in the years he was alive, but he could have done so much more.  Of the albums the quintet released, the self-titled is my favorite, but Study in Brown is also a classic.  They also released an awesome live album, At Basin Street which features Sonny Rollins on tenor sax.

My favorite tracks from Clifford Brown and Max Roach are "Joy Spring," "Delilah," "Daahoud," and the bass feature "These Foolish Things."  "Delilah" in particular is a really great tune and has a very tasty groove.  If you like jazz and haven't heard this album, you should check it out, and if you don't like jazz, this album might change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment